In various ways, smart tools like security cameras and video doorbells have boosted our home security. We can get alerts whenever a stranger walks up to our front steps, and we may even have video clips sent to us when dubious movements are detected. Having components we can communicate with via the internet advises us to prospective threats instantaneously. But there is one main downside. The simple access that benefits us is also cracking a door open for virtual intrusions.
Even though you don’t have to lose sleep agonizing over smart home hacking in Hammond, you need to be aware of the potential safety issue and implement a plan to avoid it.
Methods To Protect Yourself From Smart Home Hacking
Practically anything can be connected to the internet nowadays - your home security components, smart lights, and even your refrigerator. The drawback is that this generates more opportunities for hackers to invade your network. Even so, you don’t need to eschew wireless home security systems or other smart components. Instead, follow these tips and do your part to keep prowlers out of your network.
- Use strong passwords: This is a requirement for every account, especially your wireless configuration. Use uppercase and lowercase and an assortment of letters, special characters, and numbers. Don’t use birthdays, full words, or other things hackers may easily figure out. A password creator will provide something completely random and a password management tool will aid you in keeping tabs on your many passwords and accounts.
- Change default settings: When hooking up that new router, it’s likely to come with a preprogrammed password to facilitate the setup. Change it. Hackers will have these default settings as well. Establishing your wireless network and home router correctly in the beginning is vital in keeping you protected.
- Create a separate network: Why have your smart oven, your security devices, and your home computer on the same network? Many routers allow you to initiate a different guest network. Make use of it and protect important material found on your phone, desktop, and laptop.
- Consider installing a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for commercial networks. They might also be incorporated into your personal network. Firewalls are able to watch what’s happening on your network and thwart suspicious activity. You can begin with a router that offers an incorporated firewall.
- Utilize the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you’re using a new router, you might have the chance to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not available, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You ought to install home security components that feature 128-bit or higher.
- Ensure software and firmware is current: Keep your operating systems at the latest levels for all equipment, and that includes your integrated camera surveillance. Frequently, these updates will fix vulnerabilities and improve your security.
Be Cautious of Cheap Smart Home Equipment In Hammond
Leading companies like ADT and Amazon have their status to uphold and are more likely to remedy a security bug in their devices. Other off-the-shelf products may not act in the same fashion. Buying your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and other components from one reputable company like ADT makes sense. And having all of your components installed at the same time will go a long way to ensuring seamless configuration, performance, and security. It’s important to note that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, utilizes two-way encryption when engaging with with your smart components.
Customize Your Own Hammond Home Defense Package
Now that you have a greater understanding on how to keep your wireless network shielded from hackers, it’s time to get started on your own smart home security system in Hammond. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to customize the perfect package for your property. Contact us at (219) 207-5149 or complete the form to upgrade your home’s protection.